Monday, May 23, 2011

First practice

Yesterday was the first big post-combine practice. It was so much of fun! We worked on cuts from the flex stack, got started on a zone called Fuck Shit Up (or FSU), and played some games.

It is a bit weird to practice and try out at the same time. On the one hand I want to learn as much as possible. Playing on the edge of my comfort zone, I make more mistakes. On the other hand I want to play my best game and show that I can play without making any mistakes. I guess it's a bit of a balance, but I think about trying out as little as possible since it distracts me from my game.

One of the things I need to learn here is to not make small in cuts when people are backing me. Instead of stepping in for a small pass, I need to to work to get open deep or come under for more yards. I am getting a bit better at cutting deep successfully, but I still go for the easy mini in cuts to often.

Practice was also tiring. Four hours of running with only a couple of breaks, just enough to get something to eat or fill up your water bottle, is a lot. The 45 minute bike ride through hilly Seattle left me exhausted and hungry. I kind kind of ate all the food I had an then crashed onto my bed to wake up an hour later...

Next: Track on Tuesday, pod on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment